Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Maternity

I finally got to see a baby born! It was a very long day. I was at the hospital from 630am till just after 5pm. It was exciting and stressful and just what I wanted.
We showed up and got changed into the scrubs that they prefer that we wear. A nice green color, a change from our usually required white uniforms. We sat in conference with the nurses while our instructor consulted with the pts that it would be alright that a student would be with them. All but one mother agreed. Each mother has her own nurse, which is nice. The pt I was assigned to had had her membranes ruptured almost 36 hours when I came in. The poor girl had a birth plan written out with few interventions and ended up with a c-section. It was roughly 42hours after her membranes had ruptured. We were scheduled to stay until 4 but my instructor was nice enough to stay afterward so that I could go in the room and see the c-section. She had a tiny, healthy (!) little boy. I think the only things that worked out from her birth plan were the baby being with her at all  times and him not having a circumcision. That is as long as he stays healthy.

I can't wait till next week so I can try to see a vaginal birth and maybe do mother/baby care.

What an exciting job!

1 comment:

Kristin said...

We always joked about what a curse birth plans are and not to write one unless you want to end up with every intervention. :) I loved watching births...miss it so much!

You're going to rock mom/baby.