Sunday, September 21, 2008

The first shot

Friday was lab. We were there to go over topical medications and...subcutaneous injections.

Before we start we have to sign waivers.
If we refuse to recieve injections we can't give injections.

First we practiced injecting air into the vial.
Then pull the 'medicine' from the vial.
Make sure there are no air bubbles.
Inject the 'medicine' into practice blob thing. (the name of it is escaping me)
Easy.

Time to start injecting each other.
Eek!!
I watch the others giving injections.
Toward the end it's my turn.
I have to do this.
I get the injection first.
She is fast!!
I wash my hands.
Start to prepare my 'medicine'.
My hands are shaking.
The instructor is watching.
She can tell, I know it.
I go over to my 'patient'.
Clean my target with the alcohol.
Inject the medicine.
Am I really moving that slow?
She jumps, did I really hurt her or is she messing with me?
Phew, it done.
Some fluid leaks out.
Did I have the bevel on top?
I can't believe I just did that.

Tomorrow is orientation at my assigned hospital.
Tuesday we go into patient care.
Test or quiz on wednesday.
Test or quiz on Thursday. Maybe more than one? I really should write this stuff down.
Friday we go over IM and ID injections.
Excited, nervous, scared.....

3 comments:

Kristin said...

I am one of those nerds who always let people practice blood draws and IVs on me. Am I crazy or what???

Is fluid not supposed to leak out?...that happens to Dalton on occasion and the M.A. tries to tell me "that can happen" but I didn't really think it SHOULD.

sheree said...

Oh, I would be SO nervous too!

Relax though...you're doing great ;)

Anonymous said...

Great job! I would be scared to death too! Sounds like you did awesome!!!